THE “UNLUCKY 13” WARNING SIGNS YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR:
1. Loss of transmission fluid.
2. Discoloration of fluid.
3. Fluid has a “burnt” smell.
4. Sticky dipstick, with a “varnish” buildup.
5. Leaking fluid. Spots on the ground under the car may indicate bad seals.
6. “Morning-sickness.” Car won’t shift during the first few minutes of operation.
7. Slipping. The engine races, but the car doesn’t respond.
8. Shifting too soon.
9. Shifting too late.
10. No power when you depress the gas pedal.
11. Noise when transmission shifts gears.
12. Gears won’t hold firm. Car backs up or goes forward in Park; or won’t hold in Park.
13. Absence of normal braking effect of being in gear: “neutral feeling” in driving gear.
You should also be alert to the sound that may indicate a problem with the transmission:
1. Loud whine over 25 mph.
2. Low wine in all gears, including Neutral and Park.
3. Clicking, buzzing, or whistling sound.
4. A rumbling sound while in gear.
5. A ‘clunking’ sound when transmission is put in drive or reverse.
If you notice any of these symptoms take your car to Hylan Boulevard GIBRALTAR TRANSMISSIONS without delay.
Fortunately, not every symptom of the kind listed indicates a major transmission failure. The following are more likely to be signs of linkage trouble, which generally means a simple and quick repair:
1. Shift handle won’t move.
2. Shift handle is difficult to move in Park or Neutral or in any of the positions.
3. Rough starting.
Below are symptoms that suggest transmission problems but probably are not:
1. Broken or loose engine or transmission mounts…The mounts need to be replaced.
2. Collapsed exhaust pipe, muffler or clogged catalytic converter – Replace these.
3. Stuffed or damaged vacuum line…Replace vacuum line.
4. Inefficient carburetors can sound like a faulty transmission…The carburetor needs adjustment.
Your GIBRALTAR professional is trained to spot the tell-take difference between these less serious problems and actual transmission trouble. Why wait and worry when the answer is no farther away than your Hylan Boulevard GIBRALTAR TRANSMISSIONS.